History of Hartford Dismas House
Hartford Dismas opened in March 2014 in the former “Anna Pluhar” house, a historic Victorian home in Hartford Village, VT. The house was built c. 1890 and later became the first co-operative apartment house in the state of Vermont.
The building was renovated extensively prior to opening yet still has many original features, including a wrap-around porch, several windows and a round tower room with conical roof. This Dismas house has 9 resident rooms, with a total of 11 beds, for men and women.
The Upper Valley community of VT and NH has enthusiastically supported Hartford Dismas. Over 250 volunteers have been involved with the house over the past year, including faith groups, civic organizations, individuals and families.