Dismas Of Vermont Seeks Executive Director
Dismas of Vermont, reconciling former prisoners with society and society with former prisoners, seeks its next Executive Director. Guiding a successful group of homes across Vermont providing shelter and support for men and women making the transition from incarceration to new lives, the successful candidate will have warmth; proven leadership, management, and coaching experience; deep familiarity with VT government and community culture; strong strategic, development and financial skills; and comfort traveling throughout the state. The ED reports to a statewide Board. Compensation and benefits commensurate with experience; EOE. See job description below. Please send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Application review beginning immediately and continuing until position is filled.
Executive Director Responsibilities
Leadership & Management:
- Ensure ongoing local programmatic excellence, rigorous program evaluation, and consistent quality of finance and administration, fundraising, communications, and human resources systems
- Ensure effective systems to track progress, and regularly evaluate program components, so as to measure successes that can be effectively communicated to the board, funders, and other constituents
- Develop, maintain, and support a strong Board of Directors; serve as ex-officio member of committees as requested by the Board; seek and build Board involvement with strategic direction for both ongoing local operations and statewide oversight.
- Recommend timelines and resources needed to achieve the strategic goals set by the Board.
- Actively engage and energize DOV’S Local Council members, volunteers, board members, alumni, partnering organizations, and funders.
- Lead, coach, develop, and retain a high-performance management team.
Fundraising & Communications:
- Evolve the funding model by expanding local and state-wide revenue generating and fundraising activities to support existing and potential new program operations.
- Deepen and refine all aspects of communications—from web presence to external relations with the goal of creating a stronger brand.
- Use external presence and relationships to protect historic partnerships and to garner new opportunities.
Planning & New Business:
- Define the statewide presence with the Board, and complete the strategic business planning process for program sustainability and/or expansion.
- Build or deepen partnerships in existing and potential new populations, establishing relationships with the funders, and political and community leaders at each site.
- Be an external local, state level and national presence that publishes and communicates program results with an emphasis on the successes of the local program as a model for regional and national replication.
The ED will be thoroughly committed to DOV’s mission. Candidates should have proven leadership, coaching, and relationship management experience.
Specific requirements include:
- At least 10 years of senior management experience; track record of effectively leading and regionally scaling a performance- and outcomes-based organization and staff; ability to point to specific examples of having developed and operationalized strategies that have taken an organization to the next stage of growth
- Unwavering commitment to quality programs and data-driven program evaluation
- Excellence in organizational management with the ability to coach staff, manage, and develop high-performance teams, set and achieve strategic objectives, and manage a budget
- Past success working with a Board of Directors with the ability to cultivate existing board member relationships
- Strong marketing, public relations, and fundraising experience with the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders and cultures
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; a persuasive and passionate communicator with excellent interpersonal and project management skills
- Action-oriented, entrepreneurial, adaptable, and innovative approach to business planning
- Ability to work effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people
- Passion, idealism, integrity, positive attitude, mission-driven, and self-directed
- Driver’s license, reliable vehicle and comfort traveling around the state of Vermont
- Strong preference for Vermont residency